BlackBerry Desktop Software
On a PC
BlackBerry Desktop Software features an updated interface and user-friendly menu that allows
you to simply connect, synchronise, manage and update your BlackBerry smartphone.
Follow these steps to update to the latest BlackBerry Device Software and unlock a whole new
appreciation for your BlackBerry smartphone or PlayBook. It’s free and easy!
Step 1 – With your smartphone disconnected, click
Check for Updates.
Step 2 – When prompted, save the plug-in.
Step 3 – After the plug-in is downloaded, open it and click Run
to install the drivers.
Step 4 – When the application loader launches, connect your smartphone and select Next to start the
- Learn about BlackBerry 7 device software
- Learn about BlackBerry 6 device software
- Learn about BlackBerry 5 device software
If your BlackBerry smartphone is integrated within an enterprise,
check with your IT department to learn about plans for updating.
Over-the-air updates for smartphones
You can now update your BlackBerry smartphone OTA (Over-the-air) without connecting to a laptop or Mac. Follow the demo for a step by step guide to downloading and installing the latest device software to make sure you get the maximum enjoyment from your smartphone.1
BlackBerry PlayBook Over-the-air updates
Ensure you have access to the latest features and functionality on your BlackBerry PlayBook by installing the latest version of the BlackBerry® Tablet OS. When a software update is available, you’ll see a notification in the status bar. You can also check for software updates in the Settings menu.
Software updates are performed over the air, over a Wi-Fi® connection, and will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. You can also use the application loader in the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager software to update your software.
- Using this software and any updates or upgrades as provided by Research In Motion Limited or any of its affiliates (“RIM”) is subject to the BlackBerry Solution License Agreement (“BBSLA”), unless otherwise stated. The BBSLA is available at http://www.blackberry.com/legal.
- Please check with your carrier whether additional costs apply when downloading updates over a wireless network. To avoid any potential carrier charges it is advisable to download over a Wi-Fi® connection. It may be more convenient to download at a time when you do not need to use your BlackBerry device, for example over night.